Now that I’ve written the midterm, I can better tell you the format and what’s on it. It will be 10-12 multiple choice. The rest is short answer. In this class we have read the following from the text: chapter 1, 2, p50-62, 81-86, 292-294, 342-345, 398-400, 308-318 and 512-514, as well as McLuhan and Lasswell. We will NOT be covering Marxism on this exam. (we will on the final instead).
So what’s on it?
- 4 main perspectives to media theory
- Agenda Setting
- Lasswell’s communication model and 3 functions of media
- McLuhan and his hot/cool media
- SMRC model
- 4 things mass media impacts (chpt 1)
- Direct and limited effects
- Def. of Normative, of mass media, of mass and of public.
- Characteristics of early newspapers
- themes/issues in mass communication
- Difference between Dominance and Pluralism
- Factors of news selection (related to gatekeeping reading)
- Symbolic interactionism
- Mass communication process (p56)
- Film as mass medium
- 3 early perspective on media and society.
A lot of this is from your text and was talked about in class. See you Wednesday for the review–where you need to bring your questions.