If you find you weren’t able to talk about something regarding this issue tonight in class, please leave your thoughts in the comments.
Some key questions to consider:
- How do we define American Values, or American Culture? What exactly does this mean? What contradictions exist in our definitions of American values/culture?
- What does it mean to have “choice”?
- Does neutrality exist and should we expect it of key social institutions?
- What makes humans, humans? (Fun fact: BBC America’s Being Human actually plays at this question in a supernatural light.)
- If Carey is right and values aren’t shaped by mass media, where do they come from? What role does media play?
You may also elect to leave comments on digital fatigue here. Honestly I think I’m more than just digitally fatigued, more like an all around fatigue!